Call for Applications: History in Action Project Award
More Money. More Time. More HAPA.
Deadline is March 21.
The History in Action Initiative is pleased to announce the History in Action Project Award (HAPA) for Spring / Summer 2016, which is part of the AHA-Mellon Career Diversity Initiative at Columbia University. The HAPA enables financial assistance for History graduate students to initiate or sustain a project that contributes directly to the mission of public history – meshing academic research and public outreach – and to create valuable relationships between the Department of History and communities elsewhere.
HIA seeks to provide students with the resources to execute ever-more elaborate and extensive projects. With this goal in mind, HAPA 2.0 offers a larger award (up to $3,000) to be used over a seven-month period.
The History in Action Project Award:
- Supports graduate students who have/wish to create working relationships with distinct organizations as part of their on-going research activities.
- Ranges from $1000 to $3000, depending on the nature of the project and the duration.
- Is intended for discrete projects over a discrete time-frame, from 1 April through 1 September.
- Applicants must be current PhD students in good standing in the Department of History
- Grantees must be available to attend and participate in the fourth annual HIA conference, to be held January 19-20, 2017.
- Grantees will attend HIA events or write about their projects for the HIA website (and/or the AHA Today blog) at the request of HIA staff.
- Teams of collaborators are encouraged to apply.
- Proposals to extend previous HAPA projects are also welcome.
- Submit a 2-page Project Statement including description of the opportunity, research and community outreach highlights, time commitment, and active outcomes.
- Submit a 1-page Budget outline. The budget can include discretionary funds, and/or specific funds towards the project costs.
- Forward a recommendation email/note from faculty/supervisor addressing the viability of the student’s time commitment in view of departmental benchmarks.
All materials should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for submission of all materials is 5pm on March 21, 2016.